Anthology ContractAnthology Publishing License Agreement
Included in one of our anthologies?
Please complete the form below…
Anthology Publishing License Agreement
This Anthology Publishing License Agreement (the “Agreement”), is made and entered into as of the date of execution (the “Effective Date”), between Sidekick Press (“Publisher”), the anthology editor named below (“Editor”) and the author named below, an individual (“Author”) for the anthology named below (“Anthology”). Publisher, Editor, and Author shall collectively be referred to herein as, the “Parties” and individually as a “Party.”
NOW, THEREFORE, in consideration for mutual promises contained herein and other good and valuable consideration, the receipt of which and sufficiency of which is hereby acknowledged, the Parties agree as follows:
- Grant of Rights. The Author hereby grants first English Language Anthology rights for inclusion of his/her essay/poem named below (the “Work”) in the Anthology, to be published by the Publisher, in the English language in all countries throughout the world.
- It is understood and agreed that the Editor and the Publisher may use this Work only in the above-mentioned Anthology and reprintings of it, and that the Author shall retain all other rights to the Work not specified here.
- Publisher shall have the right to reproduce excerpts or quotations from the Work (not to exceed 10% of the material) as it sees fit in conjunction with marketing and/or publicity efforts tied to the anthology.
- The Author grants permission for transcription of the Work into Braille, tape, talking, or oversized book, only in case that book or Work is selected for such transcription by a non-profit organization for the handicapped.
- Limitations on Scope of Grant of Rights.
- This Agreement is not a transfer of the copyright to the Work.
- All rights not expressly granted in this Agreement reside exclusively with the Author.
- This Agreement does not permit the Editor or the Publisher to publish the Work in any other anthology unless explicitly granted by this agreement or a separate written agreement.
- Payments to Author. For the above-mentioned rights granted to the Editor and Publisher, Author will receive one complimentary copy of the Anthology from the Editor upon publication. This recompense represents the Author’s full payment.
- Author’s Representations and Warranties.
- The Author warrants that, as of the date of the Effective Date, he or she is the sole author of the Work.
- That he or she is the owner of all the rights granted hereunder and has full power to enter into this Agreement and to make the grants herein contained.
- That the Work is original and any prior publication of the Work in whole or in part has been fully disclosed.
- That to the best of the Author’s knowledge the Work does not infringe upon any copyright or upon any other proprietary or personal right of any person, firm, or corporation.
- Author’s Obligations. Author agrees to the following deliverables:
- Author will retain at least one (1) complete copy of the Work delivered to Editor/Publisher under this Agreement. Editor/Publisher may request reasonable modifications to the Work, in which event Author agrees to revise and resubmit the Work, or portion(s) of the Work, within a reasonable period of time requested by Editor/Publisher.
- When Editor/Publisher sends Author proofs or other versions of the Work, Author agrees to read and correct them and promptly return them to Editor/Publisher. If Author does not return corrected proofs of the Work to Editor/Publisher within the time period mutually agreed upon by the Parties, such material will be considered “approved as is.”
- In addition, Author agrees to furnish the following items as part of the Work: All photographs, artwork, and other illustrations, with captions, as requested by Editor/Publisher. All permissions must be cleared for this material.
- Upon Publisher’s request, the Author agrees to sign documents confirming the grant of rights in this Agreement, suitable for filing with the U.S. Copyright Office.
- Publisher’s Rights.
- Publisher agrees to make reasonable efforts to notify Author in advance of any editorial changes in the title and/or text of the Work, and to secure Author’s approval for any such changes whenever possible.
- Author agrees that such approval will not be unreasonably withheld.
- Publisher shall at all times retain the right of final approval over all elements of the Work.
- Publisher will furnish Editor with a copyedited manuscript of the Anthology. Editor will contact Author with any changes or queries which Editor is not able to answer for the Publisher. Editor agrees to return the copyedited manuscript with correction in not more than fourteen (14) days from receipt thereof.
- All such suggestions for revisions and corrections shall be subject to Publisher’s absolute approval.
- If the Anthology is not published within twelve (12) months of the date of this agreement, all rights hereunder shall immediately revert to the Author.
- Arising under and terminating with the grant of rights to the Work in this Agreement, the Author grants Editor and Publisher the right to use the Author’s name, image, likeness, and biographical material for all advertising, promotion, and other use of the Work. Upon request, the Author shall provide the Publisher/Editor with a photograph and appropriate biographical material for such use. The Publisher/Editor shall use only the Author’s name, image, likeness, and biographical material provided and approved by the Author.
- Governing Law. This Agreement shall be construed and interpreted according to the laws of the State of Washington as if executed and fully performed in Washington, but without regard to the state’s principles of conflicts of laws. Exclusive jurisdiction over all disputes arising in connection with this agreement shall be in the federal and state courts of the State of Washington.
- Notices. Any notice to any party hereto may be made by delivering the same in writing to such person or by sending the same by first class mail with postage prepaid to the addressee’s mailing address hereafter provided for. The respective mailing addresses are, until changed as hereafter provided, the following:
2950 Newmarket Street
Bellingham, WA 98226
Address listed below.
- Severability. In the event any provision of this Agreement is held to be invalid, illegal, or unenforceable by a court of competent jurisdiction, the validity, legality, and enforceability of the remaining provisions will not in any way be affected or impaired by such holding of invalidity, illegality, or unenforceability.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the parties have caused this Agreement to be executed by the Parties below, duly authorized as of the Effective Date.
Please fill out this form completely and in a timely manner. Incomplete forms result in additional follow up and can potentially delay your project.
The email you received with the link to this form will indicate your editor and anthology title to be entered in the fields. If you have any questions, please reach out to your editor or project manager.